Activated as a squadron on 2 September 1942 and assigned to the 5th Photographic Group whose primary function was dedicated to reconnaissance and mapping.
The squadron was then attached to the 8th Air Force, 7th Photographic and Reconnaissance Group operating from Mount Farm, in England. As war progressed, the unit moved to Chalgrove, before going to Villacoublay in France where they remained until December 1945.
Photographic reconnaissance was a very vital contribution to the war effort. It provided in-depth information to be used in upcoming missions. The key was to have a fast and high-flying airplane that could outrun enemy fighters sent to intercept it.
These aircraft were stripped of all armament and heavy protection to cut down on the weight. Their only weapons were their cameras. The aircraft used by the unit were the Famous Supermarine Spitfire, Lockheed P-38, and North American F-5 and P-51.
The unit operated in the European Theater of Operations for the duration of the war. in the Air Offensive, Europe; Normandy; Northern France; Rheinland; Ardennes-Alsace; and Central Europe. They earned the Distinguished Unit Citation and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm.
After the war, the squadron was attached to the 74th Reconnaissance Group based in Connecticut from 23 October 1947 until they were disbanded on 27 June 1949.
Size: 4 3/4 inches (12 cm)
Material: Embroidered on gold-yellow wool felt.
Have a Question?
Fill out the form and one of our representatives will contact you within one business day.
Gibson & Barnes
1900 Weld Blvd, #140
El Cajon, CA 92020